28 August 2008

I must admit that I was depressed to realize we would be giving birth to our baby boy while during George W was in office. Yes, I really thought about it. For the rest of his life he will have to say, "George W. was president when I was born." But when he is forced to say this I will remind him to also say that he was born on the cusp of change, that when he was a year old the Civil Rights Movement celebrated two more giant successes:


> Today a great leader for the Lesbian Rights Movement Del Martin died at 87 years of age and just a little more than 2-months ago she was pushed to her wedding ceremony in a wheelchair after a long fight that resulted in a California Supreme Court decision giving gays and lesbians the right to marry.


> Today for the first time in history, 45-years after the celebrated Dr. Martin Luther King gave his "I Have a Dream" speech, we nominated an African American, Barack Obama for presidency.

Thanks for listening!

2 comments:

Ducky said...

OMG. Del Martin died? I didn't know. How sad that makes me. What a great, great lady she was.
Thanks for writing about her, Amy.

Anonymous said...

With the nomination of Barack Obama and his acceptance of the nomination, I truely believe that today is the begining of the civial rights movement.

Post a Comment